Harvey Weinstein's Trial Delayed Until September - NBC10 Boston

Harvey Weinstein's Trial Delayed Until September

Weinstein's lawyers say news coverage could taint the jury pool

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Harvey Weinstein's Trial Delayed Until September
    Mark Lennihan/AP, File
    In this Thursday, Dec. 20, 2018, file photo, Harvey Weinstein, center, leaves New York Supreme Court in New York.

    Harvey Weinstein's sexual assault trial has been postponed until Sept. 9.

    A New York City judge announced the delay Friday following a closed-door hearing that focused on trial strategy and potential witnesses.

    Weinstein's trial had been scheduled to begin June 3.

    The movie mogul is charged with raping an unidentified female acquaintance in his Manhattan hotel room in 2013 and performing a forcible sex act on a different woman in 2006.

    Footage Shows Mom's Pleas as Baby is Rescued From Hot Car

    [NATL] Footage Shows Mom's Emotional Pleas After Baby Rescued From Hot Car

    Police released footage of a mother who said she accidentally left her 5-month-old in a car for half an hour in a Goodyear, Arizona, parking lot when she, her sister and other daughter went into the store. Officers are heard on camera saying it was about 99 degrees outside. 

    (Published Thursday, Aug. 22, 2019)

    Prosecutors want Judge James Burke to allow some of Weinstein's dozens of other accusers to testify in an attempt to show he has a history of violating women.

    Weinstein denies all allegations of wrongdoing.

    An important pretrial hearing in Weinstein's sexual assault case played out in secret after the judge ruled Friday that the movie mogul's right to a fair trial outweighed news organizations' arguments for keeping the courtroom open.

    Both the prosecution and defense asked that the hearing be held behind closed doors because it focuses on sensitive matters — a prosecution bid to have jurors hear from many other women who say Weinstein violated them.

    Judge Burke in Manhattan said closing the courtroom to the news media and public was "the only means available to avoid the tainting of the jury pool." He also rejected the news organizations' request to unseal documents related to the hearing.

    The hearing, Burke said, dealt with material that "is prejudicial to the defendant and is highly inflammatory." He said news coverage would serve no other purpose than to stir negative public sentiment toward Weinstein.

    Campaign Teaches Bystanders to Save Lives During Shootings

    [NATL] 'Stop the Bleed' Campaign Teaches Bystanders How to Save Lives During Shootings

    There's a renewed push for first aid training following the recent mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton—specifically training in techniques that slow or stop heavy bleeding. The training itself is just five steps. 

    (Published Thursday, Aug. 22, 2019)

    Burke also denied the media organizations' request to delay the hearing so they would have time to appeal. An appellate judge denied a request by the media outlets to immediately halt the proceeding.

    The judge said he would reopen the courtroom to discuss procedural matters once the closed-door session was over.

    Burke issued his ruling after prosecutors said it was necessary to close the courtroom, both to protect Weinstein's right to a fair trial and to shield the identities of accusers whose names and allegations were expected to come up during the hearing.

    "We believe it is prudent" to close the court, Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon said.

    Weinstein lawyer Marianne Bertuna argued that news coverage could influence potential jurors and that "the court cannot be complicit with the press in denying the defendant's right to a fair trial."

    Lawyers for the news organizations, including The Associated Press, said the prosecution and defense arguments didn't meet the high legal standard for banning the media and the public.

    S.C. Storm Lifts, Throws Restaurant Worker Onto Roof

    [NATL] S.C. Storm Lifts, Throws Restaurant Worker Onto Roof

    Two employees at a South Carolina restaurant were injured after a strong gust of wind from a storm lifted them into the air as they tried to secure a tent. Samuel Foster was one of the injured when he was lifted into the air and hit the gutter on the roof on his way down. 

    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2019)

    Weinstein's case is "a matter of immense and legitimate public interest," and the allegations against him are already widely known, said Robert Balin, a lawyer representing the news organizations.

    The sides asking for the courtroom to be closed were suggesting that "somehow it is improper for the press and the public to be sitting here and report news in real time," even though that right is guaranteed by the Constitution, Balin argued.

    Balin argued that the allegations against Weinstein from more than 80 women have already been widely reported and that many of them, such as actresses Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd, have agreed to be identified publicly. But not all have, Illuzzi-Orbon said.

    A lawyer for Court TV and a reporter from New York magazine also argued in favor of keeping the courtroom open.

    Everyone who spoke was forced to compete with the sound of a jackhammer that rattled on and off 15 stories below the open courtroom windows.

    Weinstein himself was mum as he arrived at court. Asked how he was doing, he just nodded.

    Philadelphia Police Commissioner Has Resigned Over Mismanagement Of Sexual Harassment Allegations

    [NATL]  Philadelphia Police Commissioner Has Resigned Over Mismanagement Of Sexual Harassment Allegations

    The Mayor, Jim Kenney, said Richard Ross did not put policies in place to protect its employees from sexual harassment and racial discrimination.

    (Published Tuesday, Aug. 20, 2019)

    He is charged with raping an unidentified female acquaintance in his Manhattan hotel room in 2013 and performing a forcible sex act on a different woman in 2006.

    Weinstein, 67, has denied all allegations of wrongdoing. He pleaded not guilty and is free on $1 million bail. His trial is scheduled to begin June 3.

    Prosecutors are seeking to call as trial witnesses some of the dozens of women who have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct but whose allegations haven't led to criminal charges. They want to show that Weinstein has had a history of assaulting women.

    Prosecutors used that strategy a year ago in convicting Bill Cosby at his sexual assault retrial outside Philadelphia. Hearings pertaining to such witnesses in the comedian's case were not closed to the media or public.

    Perhaps expecting an onslaught of accusers taking the stand, Weinstein lawyer Jose Baez sent a letter this week to the lawyer for one of them, asking for emails he says show the woman acknowledged she had a consensual relationship with Weinstein.

    The AP does not identify people who say they are victims of sexual assault unless they come forward publicly.

    Video Shows Man Swinging Sword During Fla. Dispute

    [NATL] Video Shows Man Swinging Sword During Fla. Dispute

    Police are looking for a man seen swinging a sword during an altercation in Florida over a trash pile.

    (Published Monday, Aug. 19, 2019)