Don’t let the winter blues beat out your green thumb!
House plants can bring a beautiful vibrancy to a home in the dull winter months…if you can keep them alive! Quontay Turner, owner of Emerald City Plant Shop, is sharing her tips to help plants survive this season and prepare to thrive this spring.
3 Ways to Take Care of Your House Plants:
- Hydration – Quontay explains that if we as humans are feeling dry, our plants are probably feeling the same way.
- The first way to create a more friendly environment is to invest in a humidifier to add moisture back to the air.
- Another option is a mister to add moisture to the leaves. But be warned, misting them does not take the place of watering them. You should still remain on the same watering cycle while resisting over-watering!
- If you don’t know when that is, a moisture-level reader can be extremely helpful to help identify what it needs.
- Trim – Grab your scissors and get to trimming the ‘dead ends’ off your plants! This encourages new growth.
- Use Good Soil – Make sure that your soil has ‘stuff’ in it so that it allows the plants to breathe.
Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.
For more great tips or to learn more about Quantay’s house calls visit emeraldcityplantshop.com.
Want to know what's up for your weekend? Click here to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter about events, experiences and adventures for you and for your family around Boston. (You might even find a few freebies!)