Report of Different Samsung Phone Model Exploding - NBC10 Boston

Report of Different Samsung Phone Model Exploding

The user said she threw the phone away when she realized it had "swollen up" and smoke was coming out

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Checklist for a Healthier Fall
    Lee Jin-man, AP
    In this Oct. 27, 2016, file photo, a shareholder of Samsung Electronics arrives for the general meeting of shareholders in Seoul, South Korea.

    A Samsung phone user in France says her Galaxy J5 smartphone caught fire and exploded on Sunday. The model is different from the Galaxy Note 7 that has been recalled worldwide.

    Lamya Bouyirdane told The Associated Press on Monday that she noticed the phone was very hot after she asked her four-year-old son to pass it over during a family gathering at her home. She said she threw the phone away when she realized it had "swollen up" and smoke was coming out.

    "I panicked when I saw the smoke and I had the reflex to throw it away," said Bouyirdane, a mother of three in the southwestern French city of Pau.

    The phone then caught fire and the back blew off. Her partner quickly extinguished it.

    Toddler Towed With Car, Left in Freezing Lot Overnight

    [NATL] Toddler Towed With Car, Left in Freezing Wisconsin Lot Overnight

    A 4-year-old girl was left alone inside a minivan overnight in a Milwaukee tow lot, authorities said. An impaired driver was pulled over and arrested for operating while intoxicated. Officers removed a 10-month-old child from the vehicle but left the 4-year-old girl, who spent the night in the tow lot where temperatures dropped to 19 degrees.

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018)

    Bouyirdane said she bought the phone new last June on a website offering discounts.

    The South Korean company recently recalled millions of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones globally because of a problem that caused the batteries to overheat and catch fire.

    William Stofega, a mobile analyst for IDC, said the incident in France was most likely an isolated one, noting that the phone has been on the market for several months now and this is the first report of a battery fire that he's aware of.

    "These reports tend to cluster," he said.

    He added that problems involving lithium-ion batteries used in not just smartphones, but also laptop computers, have been around for years and there's no easy fix for them. Manufacturing defects or even a small amount of damage can cause a short circuit, resulting in an overheated battery and potentially a fire.

    Samsung did not immediately respond to an email from the AP seeking comments following the latest incident.

    Professor Sues Over Transgender Pronoun Rebuke

    [NATL] Professor Sues Over Transgender Pronoun Rebuke

    A Shawnee State University professor is suing officials after receiving a written warning for violating its nondiscrimination policy by not addressing a transgender student using the gender terms preferred by the student. Nicholas Meriwether, a philosophy professor and evangelical Christian, filed a federal lawsuit this month against officials at the university in Portsmouth. 

    (Published Thursday, Nov. 15, 2018)