A fatal fire in Marlborough, Massachusetts, was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, officials said Thursday.
One person was killed in the 2-alarm fire at 86 Neil St., which broke out around 4 a.m. Thursday.
A female resident was found on the first floor of the home. She was removed from the home by firefighters but later died. She has been identified as 59-year-old Ann Leonard.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
Investigators believe she might have tried to fight the fire herself, as they found running water in the kitchen sink.
The fire began in the living room near the couch, investigators said. The occupants of the other side of the duplex at 88 Neil St. were alerted to the fire by smoke alarms and were able to escape.