Convicted Child Rapist Wayne Chapman Unable to Pay Bail, Will Remain in Prison Until Trial - NBC10 Boston

Convicted Child Rapist Wayne Chapman Unable to Pay Bail, Will Remain in Prison Until Trial

Chapman, who served 30 years in prison for sexually assaulting two boys, will sit behind bars because he is unable to pay bail for new charges

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Chapman to Remain Jailed Because He Is Unable to Pay Bail

    Because he is unable to pay his $25,000 bail, convicted child rapist Wayne Chapman will continue to sit behind bars as he awaits his upcoming trial.

    (Published Thursday, May 23, 2019)

    Convicted child rapist Wayne Chapman will continue to sit behind bars as he awaits trial because he is unable to pay the $25,000 bail, according to his attorney.

    The bail stems from new charges that include open and gross lewdness, wanton and lascivious acts and more after he allegedly exposed himself and was masturbating in the view of a prison staff at the Massachusetts Correctional Institution – Shirley last June.

    Prosecutors on Thursday asked a judge to delay the 71-year-old's trial for 48 days so a witness could testify. The judge approved their request.

    Meanwhile, Chapman's attorney hoped to at least reduce his bail.

    Court Orders Release of Convicted Child Rapist

    [NECN] Court Orders Release of Convicted Child Rapist

    Massachusetts' highest court has ordered the release of serial child rapist Wayne Chapman.

    (Published Thursday, May 16, 2019)

    "Twenty-five thousand dollars is not an amount that he can post and I would suggest it is an egregious amount of bail, given my client's means," said attorney Melissa Devore.

    However, the judge denied her statement.

    Chapman spent 30 years in prison after he was convicted of raping two boys in Lawrence in 1977. Families of the victims protested his release, but the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ordered it just last week.

    He was convicted in three states and had roughly 50 victims over a span of 10 years. He was also the main suspect in the 1976 disappearance of 10-year-old Andy Puglisi, who went missing after visiting a Lawrence pool.

    Chapman's prison term ended in 2004, but he remained civilly committed until last summer.

    The defendant was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and is now wheelchair bound. The judge says he is no longer sexually dangerous because of his physical limitations.

    Mass. SJC Orders Release of Convicted Child Rapist

    [NECN] Mass. SJC Orders Release of Convicted Child Rapist

    The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court has ordered the release of serial child rapist Wayne Chapman.

    (Published Thursday, May 16, 2019)

    Chapman's trial is scheduled to begin July 30.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.