David Ortiz Writes Message to Fans in First Tweet Since Shooting - NBC10 Boston

David Ortiz Writes Message to Fans in First Tweet Since Shooting

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    David Ortiz Writes Message to Fans in First Tweet Since Shooting
    Getty Images
    BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - SEPTEMBER 09: David Ortiz addresses the crowd after throwing out the ceremonial first pitch before the game between the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees at Fenway Park on September 09, 2019 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)

    Big Papi is back… on Twitter!

    Red Sox legend David Ortiz made his return to the social media site months after he was shot in his native Dominican Republic in June.

    “Catching up on all the tweets I missed the past few months,” Ortiz said in the tweet. “Thankful for all the luv n support.”

    The longime slugger made his first public appearance since the shooting last week, throwing out the first pitch at Fenway Park. He later spoke to NBC10 Boston about his long recovery.

    "I spent six weeks without being able to eat or to drink any water, and you don't know the value of it until you face the situation," he said.

    Ortiz was released from Massachusetts General Hospital in July. Investigators in the Dominican Republic have determined that he was not the intended target of the shooting and that he was a victim of mistaken identity. Fourteen people have been arrested in the case.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.