Court Documents Reveal New Details About David Ortiz Shooting - NBC10 Boston

Court Documents Reveal New Details About David Ortiz Shooting

As of Monday, 10 people have been arrested in connection to the shooting

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Court Docs Reveal New Details in Ortiz Shooting

    Documents reveal what led up to the shooting of Red Sox legend David Ortiz. He is not specifically mentioned, but the shooter was handed a photo of Ortiz. (Published Tuesday, June 18, 2019)

    New details about the shooting of Red Sox legend David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic last week were included in court documents released Monday.

    The documents show that Gabriel Alexander Perez Vizcaino, the tenth suspect charged in connection with the June 9 shooting, met earlier that day to discuss the plan of attack with the rest of the group. A picture was sent to his cell phone from a friend in jail of the "target" and he was told it was someone they needed to kill.

    The court paperwork does not identify who was pictured in the photo.

    The court documents also identify the man who allegedly arranged the shooting as Alberto Miguel Rodriguez Mota, according to the Boston Globe. Vizcaino is reportedly the one who organized the group that carried out the hit.

    Court Docs Reveal New Details in David Ortiz Shooting

    [NECN] Court Docs Reveal New Details in David Ortiz Shooting

    A group of people worked together ahead of the shooting of David Ortiz.

    (Published Monday, June 17, 2019)

    It has now been over a week since Ortiz was shot in Santo Domingo while at a bar. Surveillance footage of the scene showed a gunman walking up to Ortiz and shooting at him at close range, causing chaos and sending patrons running from the area.

    Ten people have been arrested in connection to the shooting, which officials have called a sophisticated plot to kill the retired athlete. Dominican officials are still looking for Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, who they said was part of the shooting.

    Nine suspects appeared in court Friday, donning ballistic helmets and bulletproof vests. They were ordered to remain in prison as the investigation develops.

    The tenth suspect, Vizcaino, was arrested Friday and is expected in court on Monday.  

    So far, the investigation has revealed that Rolfi Ferreyra Cruz allegedly fired a shot at Ortiz and then ran inside a nearby home. There, he said he had been robbed and asked the homeowner to get him a taxi, allowing him to flee.

    Since the shooting, Ortiz has undergone two surgeries and is now recovering at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

    'Full Narrative' to Be Released in Ortiz Shooting

    [NATL NECN] 'Full Narrative' to Be Released in Ortiz Shooting

    Dominican authorities said investigators plan to release a "full narrative" on what they believe led up to the shooting of David Ortiz.

    (Published Monday, June 17, 2019)

    Ortiz's wife Tiffany and his daughter Alexandra posted sweet tributes to him on Sunday in honor of Father's Day.

    Since the Red Sox great is an American national, the U.S. is assisting in the investigation and the FBI has also become involved.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.