'I Don't Feel Safe': Lawrence Woman Injured by Stove Issued After Merrimack Valley Gas Explosions - NBC10 Boston

'I Don't Feel Safe': Lawrence Woman Injured by Stove Issued After Merrimack Valley Gas Explosions

Kasandra Zardenas says she hasn't heard from Columbia Gas, adding the utility has not shown up to apologize or to explain what happened

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Woman Suffers Burns From Columbia Gas Issued Stove

    Kasandra Zardenas suffered first degree burns to her hands when flames burst out of the Columbia Gas issued stove in her Lawrence home.

    (Published Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018)

    It’s been nearly three months since an over pressurized gas line caused thousands to lose gas in the Merrimack Valley, leaving many without heat and the ability to cook. Columbia Gas has been working to get things back to normal for residents, but one family says an appliance given to them by the utility caused a serious injury.

    Kasandra Zardenas recently suffered first degree burns to her hands and face after using her Columbia Gas issued stove. She and her family believe the flames shot from the oven were a result of the company restoring gas to residents living above her in Lawrence, Massachusetts.

    Following the incident, Zardenas is unable to work as a Primary Care Assistant, take care of her grandmother, who is in hospice care, or help her 4-year-old daughter with everyday tasks like putting on her clothes or brushing her hair.

    Zardenas says Columbia Gas has not provided an explanation of what happened or how it occurred.

    Explaining the Yield Curve Inversion with Gummy Candy

    [NATL] Explaining the Yield Curve Inversion with Gummy Candy

    A yield curve inversion has been a reliable predictor in a coming recession, but what exactly is a yield curve inversion? We explain... using gummy candy.

    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019)

    “I want to know what happened," she said. "They haven’t showed up and said sorry or anything."

    The incident happened Sunday when Zardenas was cooking for her grandmother. She’s been cooking on the Columbia Gas issued stove for about the last month, which is when their gas was restored.

    “I tried to put out the fire. But it was growing, going up the stove," she said. "I just closed the door because there’s tanks of oxygen here and my grandmas here and she can barely walk.”

    Zardenas' cousin, Elizabeth Iguina, who lives on the third floor, says the incident happened on the same day that her own gas was restored.

    “I’m a hundred percent sure that it was caused by the work he was doing,” Iguina said of the Columbia Gas employee who came out to her home. "They didn't have no issues for a month and then the day he was working was the day that she got burnt.”

    Now, working inside the home causes Zardenas stress.

    Bulletproof Backpack Sales Spike in Wake of Recent Shootings

    [NATL] Bulletproof Backpack Sales Spike During Back-to-School Season

    Do children need bulletproof backpacks as they head back to school? Many families say yes—sales of bulletproof backpacks, effective against handguns, have spiked by 200%, according to manufacturers. Child psychologists, however, say the bags can carry a mixed message for children. 

    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019)

    “I don’t feel safe working here," she said. "I don’t feel safe for my grandmother to be here in this house.”

    Colombia Gas has not responded to NBC10 Boston’s phone calls or emails seeking a comment from the utility.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.