What to Know
A band of rain, snow will arrive Wednesday, working its way northwards. Heavy snow could be in the Boston area to the south by the evening
Nor'easter will wind down for many on Thursday morning, early afternoon, except for those in Maine
Southern & eastern New England sees a 60 percent chance of plowable snow; western, central & northern New England has a 40 percent chance
For a while, it looked like a fouth March nor'easter might miss New England, but not any longer, as the storm forecasted to hit Wednesday is now expected to bring snow to a large swath of the region.
A band of rain and snow will extend onto the south coast Wednesday morning, working northward during the day. By afternoon and evening, some of the snow will likely fall heavily at times around Boston points south.
That continues into the night and even into Thursday morning before winding down during the daylight hours. However, snow will continue in Maine.
The exact track will determine exactly how much snow falls. Right now a plowable snow is likely (60 percent chance) from southeastern Connecticut into Rhode Island, southeastern Massachusetts, and around Boston. That includes MetroWest and parts of the North Shore. Much of coastal and Downeast Maine is also in that category.
Much of western and central Massachusetts into New Hampshire and interior Maine have a 40 percent chance of a plowable snow, which we’re calling 3 inches or more. Vermont has the lowest chance, 20 percent, of seeing plowable snow.
But for the next two days, at least, things should be mostly quiet.
Monday is the last full day of winter, and it feels like it. After starting with very cold morning lows, highs Monday will reach the 20s in far northern New England, with 30s and 40s in southern New England. Sunshine will be widespread, and we’ll still have a wind out of the northwest at 10 to 20 mph.
Mostly clear and cold conditions rule Monday night, then Tuesday starts off with sunshine. Clouds will increase from south to north as spring officially begins at 12:15 p.m.