What to Know
An 11-year-old boy allegedly stabbed a 12-year-old boy in the auditorium of Kennedy Middle School during an altercation.
The building was placed under a lockdown following the incident.
The alleged assailant was taken into custody and a small knife was seized
A Massachusetts middle school student who police say stabbed another student during a fight Thursday morning will not be charged, according to authorities.
Woburn police say they responded to a report of a stabbing at John F. Kennedy Middle School at 7:50 a.m. after a teacher called 911.
When officers arrived, they found a 12-year-old student had been slashed in the hand with a knife during an altercation with an 11-year-old student. The student who was stabbed did not suffer serious injuries, according to police, and no one else was involved in the incident.
Police said under a new Massachusetts law, the child will not be charged. Although the new state statute says as minors under 12 years of age can't be charged, police said the child will be disciplined by the school department.
"It's crazy. It's middle school," parent Michelle Keith said. "These kids are no older than 13, 14 maybe."
The alleged assailant was taken into custody and a small knife was seized, officials said.
Students said the incident occurred in the school's auditorium, where the sixth graders wait for school to start.
"I got really nervous," eighth-grade student Julia Baker said. "I didn't know what happened. Stuff like this usually doesn't happen."
The building -- which houses sixth, seventh and eighth graders -- was locked down following the incident, making it a tough morning for everyone inside.
"Due to the fact that this incident involves juveniles, there are certain things we cannot discuss under the law, but we have determined that this incident was not a random act and it appears to be an isolated incident," town and school officials said in a statement. "Out of an abundance of caution, the school was placed in Shelter in Place mode during the initial investigation, but the school has returned to its normal schedule at this time."
Officials said they determined that there was no further danger to the school.
A number of parents came to check on their children or take them home for the day. Most said that they were pleased with the way the school handled the situation.
"I think they did a great job, " said one parent. We were informed the whole time."