Thousands Remain Without Power Following Thursday's Gas-Fueled Explosions - NBC10 Boston

Thousands Remain Without Power Following Thursday's Gas-Fueled Explosions

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Thousands Remain Without Power in Merrimack Valley

    There was still no power Friday night in North Andover following Thursday's gas-fueled explosions and fires in the Merrimack Valley.

    (Published Friday, Sept. 14, 2018)

    There was still no power Friday night in North Andover, Massachusetts, following Thursday night’s gas-fueled explosions and fires in the Merrimack Valley.

    “Twenty-four hours later you can see we still have no power, no electricity. Pretty disappointed with the Columbia gas people,” said James Hassam, a North Andover resident.

    John Melvidas says he can’t believe how many homes were destroyed by explosions or fire.

    “We’re lucky we got away with nothing. We lost our power, we lost our gas, but these people in Lawrence and even here in North Andover,” he said.

    Death Toll, Damages Climb From Typhoon Hagibis

    [NATL] Death Toll, Damages Climb From Typhoon Hagibis

    The death toll from Typhoon Hagibis climbed to 53 on Tuesday, days after it tore through Japan and left hundreds of thousands of homes wrecked, flooded or out of power. Hagibis caused more than 200 rivers to overflow when it hit the island nation on Saturday.

    (Published Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019)

    Meantime, earlier in the morning, residents in North Andover begged Columbia Gas for information.

    But the Columbia Gas workers on the street didn’t have any answers.

    Instead they took down names and phone numbers to get back to residents.

    Hassan said: “They actually ran away after questions were given to them. They ran into their vehicles and wouldn’t answer anymore.”

    Officials are now warning residents not to turn the gas back on by themselves.

    Crews must do that.

    Quadruple Murder Suspect Brings Body to Police Station

    [NATL] Quadruple Murder Suspect Brings Body to Police Station

    A Roseville, California, man is in custody after he turned himself in to police in connection to a quadruple homicide.  The body of one of his victims was in the car he drove to the police station in Mount Shasta, more than 200 miles away from the original Roseville crime scene.

    (Published Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019)

    And they will be going block by block, house by house.

    It could be Saturday or Sunday at the earliest that all gas service is shut off, and then after that, things can hopefully get back on line again.

    If you don’t have anywhere to go, a shelter is set up in North Andover at the high school.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.