Yikes! Firefighters, Vets Help Dog After Chew Toy Gets Stuck - NBC10 Boston

Yikes! Firefighters, Vets Help Dog After Chew Toy Gets Stuck

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Yikes! Firefighters, Vets Help Dog After Chew Toy Gets Stuck
    Wrentham Fire Department

    Firefighters in Wrentham, Massachusetts, unexpectedly came to the aid of a resident's dog Sunday afternoon.

    Fire officials wrote on Facebook that around 2 p.m., a woman arrived at the fire department with her dog, which had a plastic chew toy lodged stiffly around her lower jaw and in her mouth.

    The toy was not choking the dog, but officials said the dog was still very distraught.

    Wrentham Fire Department officials said the task of removing the toy was challenge because it could not easily be cut through, even by a hydraulic cutter.

    Death Toll, Damages Climb From Typhoon Hagibis

    [NATL] Death Toll, Damages Climb From Typhoon Hagibis

    The death toll from Typhoon Hagibis climbed to 53 on Tuesday, days after it tore through Japan and left hundreds of thousands of homes wrecked, flooded or out of power. Hagibis caused more than 200 rivers to overflow when it hit the island nation on Saturday.

    (Published Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2019)

    After multiple failed attempts to get the toy loose, they advised the dog be taken to Tufts Vet Emergency in Walpole.

    The fire department said that veterinary staff also struggled to free the toy from the dog's mouth, but were eventually able to dislodge it by sedating the dog and using a cast cutter.

    The dog is now home safe and healthy with its owners.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.