Suspect Shot Taxi Driver 9 Times for Refusing to Drive Him to Mansfield: Prosecutors

A taxi driver was shot and killed in Boston's Back Bay on Tuesday after refusing to give the suspect a ride to Mansfield, according to prosecutors.

Phillip Foy, 34, of Pawtucket, Rhode Island, was arrested Tuesday after he allegedly shot 60-year-old Luckinson Oruma in broad daylight. The shooting happened around 11 a.m. in the area of Huntington Avenue and West Newton Street outside the Colonnade Hotel.

At his arraignment Wednesday in Boston Municipal Court, Foy pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, armed carjacking and unlawful possession of a firearm and was ordered held without bail. Foy hid his face from view in court.

Assistant Suffolk County District Attorney John Verner said Foy demanded a ride to Mansfield, about a 33-mile drive from Boston. When Oruma declined, Verner said Foy allegedly told the driver, "You're going to move this cab, or I'm going to move you." Foy then allegedly shot Oruma nine times.

Police said Foy stole Oruma's cab and drove it a short distance before abandoning it and tossing the gun and his shoes. Foy was sitting at a table outside a grocery store when he was found by authorities and arrested.

Verner said Foy gave police "basically a full confession."

Oruma was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he later died. He is survived by his wife and five children.

"They all depend on him," said Eddie Summers, Oruma's boss. "It's going to be a sad, sad loss."

Florida transplant surgeon Kristopher Croone tried to save Oruma.

"I ripped my shirt off and then we held pressure on his neck to try and control the bleeding," he said. "He was alive probably for maybe five minutes that I was there, and then, as I said, at that point, he lost his pulse."

While most ran away from the gunshots, Croone ran toward them.

"Maybe it wasn't smart, but I didn't really think too much about 'Could there be additional gunshots.' I just saw he was down there and clearly in trouble. I think, at that point, I sort of went into doctor mode."

Attorney John Hayes, who was appointed to represent Foy, told reporters he had no comment because he had just been assigned to the case. Foy is due back in court on July 9.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us