Dozens of residents were evacuated Monday after a pipe burst in a senior living facility in Reading, Massachusetts.
Reading fire officials said they were called to The Residence at Pearl Street, which is an assisted living and memory care facility, just before noon.
Fire Chief Greg Burns said firefighters found the burst pipe on the first floor and realized it was spilling water down into electrical panels in the basement. No one was hurt, but crews had to cut power to a wing of the building and around 66 people had to be evacuated.
As of 9:15 p.m., police and fire officials said, all of those people had been relocated.
Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.
"I commend the quick work by the members of Reading Police and Reading Fire in responding to this incident, ensuring no one was hurt as a result," Reading Police Chief David Clark said in a statement.
"We would like to thank the staff at The Residence at Pearl Street for their full cooperation during this response," said Reading Fire Chief Gregory Burns, "as well as the Reading Health Department for their assistance."
Officials estimate it will take two to three days for the equipment to dry out so they can properly make repairs.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
The damage is contained to the newer wing of the building. The older part of the facility, which was not damaged, was once an elementary school.
Family members looking for information can call 617-596-5141.