Fire officials in Boston have revealed the cause of a six-alarm fire that tore through an apartment complex being built in the city's Dorchester neighborhood last month.
The cause of the fire was exhaust piping in the building's emergency generator, which was "a heat source too close to combustibles," Boston Fire Commissioner Joseph Finn said Wednesday morning.
The sprinkler system for the 83-unit Treadmark Building on Dorchester Avenue was fully operational, but shut off at the time.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
Investigators found that construction crews were following all codes.
The June 28 fire caused major damage to the new building that was set to house condos, rentals and retail space.
Inspections were scheduled to begin the next day, with tenants anticipating moving in mid-July. Would-be tenants had already handed over thousands of dollars in deposits, which are now refundable.