Woman Killed, Man Hospitalized After Abington House Fire

Neighbors described the victims as a lovely couple and said they were often seen walking their dog and occasionally their pet bird to a nearby park

NBC Universal, Inc.

A woman was killed and a man is hospitalized after a house caught fire on Linwood Street in Abington, Massachusetts, early Thursday morning.

The fire started around 3:45 a.m. at 736 Linwood St. When firefighters arrived, heavy smoke and flames were already coming from the building.

A woman who lived in the home died of injuries suffered in the fire, Abington Fire Chief John Nuttall said. That woman was identified as 45-year-old Susan Boerman.

A man who was inside the home was taken to an area hospital, according to fire officials. His condition was not immediately known, and his name has not been released.

A dog was also killed in the fire.

"On behalf of the Abington Fire Department, I want to express our condolences to the victim's family and loved ones," the fire chief said in a statement.

Neighbors described the victims as a lovely couple and said they were often seen walking their dog and occasionally their pet bird to a nearby park.

Neighbors said they woke up to the sound of fire crews Thursday.

"I saw ambulances and fire trucks and the house with the flames going up," one neighbor said.

A state police fire and explosion investigation unit assigned to the State Fire Marshal’s office is investigating with the Abington Fire Department. Officials said the fire was not suspicious and was likely caused by an unspecified electrical event in the living room.

"Electrical fires are the second-leading cause of fatal fires in Massachusetts, so I'd like to remind all our residents of some basic safety tips," the fire chief continued in his statement. "Avoid running electrical cords under rugs or anywhere they could be pinched by doors or furniture. Don't use an item with a worn, cracked, or damaged cord. When charging devices like phones and laptops, place them on a hard and stable surface like a table rather than a couch or bed. Finally, remember that extension cords and power strips are intended for temporary us: call a licensed electrician if you need additional wall outlets."

State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said modern fires burn faster than they did a few decades ago.

"You might have less than three minutes to escape from a house fire, so it's important for everyone to have working smoke alarms on every floor and a home escape plan that accounts for two ways out. The warning from a smoke alarm and knowing where to go in an emergency can give you time to get out, stay out and call 911."

The couple's Abington home is a total loss.

Firefighters were back on scene Friday morning for a flare up that occurred around 5:30 a.m. The fire department said crews were putting water on the house to combat any remaining hot spots.

Contact Us