Hyannis

Man found dead in Hyannis home, 2 others hospitalized

The fire is believed to have started with smoking materials — cigarettes were found in the victim's bedroom, state and local authorities said Thursday

NBC Universal, Inc.

A man was found dead in a burning Cape Cod home early Wednesday morning, and two other people were rushed to the hospital, fire officials said.

The fire in Hyannis was reported at a home on about 5:23 a.m. Oakland Road of Route 28, according to Hyannis Fire Chief Peter Burke. When firefighters arrived, they were told by two people who'd made it out of the single-family home, which was engulfed in flames, that another person was still inside.

STAY IN THE KNOW

icon

Watch NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are.

icon

Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.

Firefighters eventually made it inside and found the man, who hasn't been identified beyond being in his 60s, dead, Burke said. The two people, both adults, were taken to Cape Cod Hospital.

The fire is believed to have started with smoking materials — cigarettes were found in the victim's bedroom, state and local authorities said Thursday.

Two brothers who live next door say they were startled awake by their neighbor, who had escaped his burning home.

“He just pounded on the door and said somebody call 911 the house is on fire," one told NBC10 Boston.

"“I ran outside I thought my house was on fire for a second but it was just a huge flame going off in that room right there," the other described.

State and local officials were investigating the fire, according to Burke. He didn't share any information on how the blaze is believed to have started.

Contact Us