No Bail for Man Accused of Shooting 2 Falmouth Cops

Malik Koval, 21, pleaded not guilty to eight charges, including assault to murder

What to Know

  • Malik Koval, 21, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to shooting Falmouth police officers Ryan Moore and Donald DeMiranda
  • DeMiranda received surgery for his shoulder and Moore was grazed by a bullet in the neck area
  • Both officers are now in recovery, according to their police chief

The man accused of shooting two Falmouth, Massachusetts police officers pleaded not guilty Tuesday to assault to murder and numerous other charges from his hospital bed.

Malik Koval, 21, allegedly opened fire on officers Ryan Moore and Donald DeMiranda on Friday after they responded to a call for a man causing a disturbance in the street.

DeMiranda suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder that prompted him to receive surgery. Moore was grazed in the neck area by a bullet. Both officers are reportedly recovering well.

Prosecutors said officers responded around 5:30 p.m. to the area of Seacoast Shores Boulevard, where Koval was allegedly breaking glass bottles in the street. After they attempted to engage him, Koval ran inside a home located at 2 Ashley Drive, allegedly retrieved a gun and began "firing indiscriminately" at responding police.

Witnesses said they heard three or four gunshots.

"Witnesses on scene gave statements to the troopers afterward. They indicated they observed the police try to interact with the defendant, Mr. Koval, pursue him into the house as he fled they observed family members attempting to interfere with the officers," said Cape and Islands Assistant District Attorney Dan Higgins.

Officers fired back and struck Koval several times. He was taken via helicopter to Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston where he remains in stable condition.

Koval was arraigned Tuesday from his hospital bed and ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing to be held once he has recovered.

He pleaded not guilty to two counts of assault to murder, two counts of assault and battery on a police officer, to counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, one count of disturbing the peace, one count of resisting arrest and one count of carrying a firearm without a license.

"Obviously, this is very overwhelming to him," his lawyer Ruth McLaughlin said. "He's a young man."

His left arm and left leg covered in bandages, Koval crossed his arms on his chest at the start of his arraignment. He could be seen shaking his head at one point, and made several hand signs during the brief hearing.

Falmouth Police Chief Edward Dunne attended Tuesday's hearing and spoke afterward about how proud he is of the two officers that were injured.

"They're so brave, everything they've been through," he said. 

Dunne said the two officers are now in recovery, and they appreciate the thoughts and prayers from the entire community.

"It's overwhelming, and thank you," he said.

Also speaking after the hearing was new Boston Police Commissioner William Gross.

"Thank God that the officers are OK," he said. "We of the law enforcement community and family just wish to thank everyone for their great show of support and love.

"A sincere thank you for having our back," Gross added. "For those of ill intent, we will not waver. We will continue to do our job. We are not going anywhere."

Koval's brother and mother were also arraigned Monday on several offenses for allegedly interfering with police duties during the confrontation.

Koval will appear in court on Aug. 23 for a dangerousness hearing.

Contact Us