New Hampshire

Firefighter Falls Through 1st Floor of Home While Battling Massive Blaze in Hudson, NH

Nine people are without a home after the fire heavily damaged the Greeley Street duplex in Hudson, New Hampshire, officials said.

NBC Universal, Inc.

Several New Hampshire and Massachusetts fire departments responded Thursday afternoon to a fire raging at a multi-family home in Hudson, NH, where one firefighter was injured when he fell through the floor, officials said.

The Hudson Fire Department said the firefighter was working alongside several crews battling the multi-alarm fire on Greeley Street when he fell through the first floor into the basement. A mayday was called and the rapid intervention team removed him from the home. He was taken to a local hospital where he was treated and released.

"He was rescued by his fellow firefighters that were with him on the line," a fire official told NBC10 Boston.

Another firefighter was also taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation, the fire department said. That firefighter was later released, as well.

According to Hudson fire officials, multiple 911 calls came in after flames broke out at the duplex around 1:40 p.m. Heavy fire was showing upon arrival, prompting a second alarm and then third alarm to be quickly called. More than 50 emergency responders were summoned to the massive fire.

The Hudson Fire Department was assisted by firefighters from Nashua, Litchfield, Windham, Londonderry, Manchester, Salem, and Pelham in New Hampshire, as well as Dracut and Tyngsboro in Massachusetts.

"It was crazy, hectic," said Alexander Picard, who lives down the street. "I was just at home in my room. I heard a lot of the sirens going, so I had no idea what was going on, and then I heard a big boom. Just like a bunch of black smoke coming out, and then I went closer, it was flames everywhere."

Fire officials say the residents who were there managed to get out on their own safely. There were three different living units at the home, and nine residents are now without a place to live just two weeks before Christmas. The American Red Cross did respond to help those displaced.

After seeing the devastating fire, Picard said he went back to his home to grab coats for his neighbors who were standing out in the cold.

"It's sad but I'm just glad everyone's okay. The pets got out," Picard said. "That would've been real sad if something happened."

Eversource and Hudson police also were on scene Thursday. Just before 2 p.m., Hudson police issued a traffic alert, warning drivers to expect delays and to seek alternate routes, noting a large amount of emergency vehicles in the area.

The home was heavily damaged in the fire, officials said. The cause is still under investigation.

Contact Us