Haverhill Resident, Dog Killed in Fire at Multi-Family Home

The victim was identified Monday as 80-year-old Richard Wallace

NBC Universal, Inc.

One person and a pet dog are dead following a fire at a multi-family home Saturday afternoon in Haverhill, Massachusetts, officials announced.

The Haverhill Fire Department received multiple 911 calls reporting a fire on 9th Avenue shortly before 4:45 p.m., officials said.

Responding crews found smoke showing from the second floor on arrival, and firefighters found one person and a dog inside the home who had succumbed to their injuries, officials said.

The victim was identified Monday as 80-year-old Richard Wallace.

Fire crews were able to contain the blaze to just the affected unit, officials added.

The cause of the fire was smoking materials that weren't disposed of properly, the state fire marshal's office said. The fire started in the area of a recliner on the second floor of the building, where numerous cigarettes and a lighter were found.

Contact Us