New Hampshire

Hazmat Crew Responds to Amazon Facility in Nashua

Nashua Fire Rescue

Three people were hospitalized early Thursday after a hazmat team responded to a possible cleaning chemical reaction at an Amazon facility in New Hampshire.

The Nashua Fire Department said crews responded to an Amazon delivery station on State Street, where one person reported they had been experiencing difficulty breathing.

Authorities ordered the building be evacuated as they were en route. Upon arrival, crews learned the person affected by the reaction was still in the building. The patient was removed from the structure and decontaminated before they were taken to a hospital.

Two more employees reported respiratory problems and they, too, were treated then hospitalized. The trio affected by the incident were only identified as a 34-year-old man, a 36-year-old man and a 44-year-old woman.

They were taken to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center, where one person remains. The other two have since been released, according to Nashua Fire Rescue.

Authorities said one of the substances in the reaction was identified, but they did not say what it was. The other substance remains unknown since attempts were made to de-escalate the reaction.

"Our Nashua delivery station was evacuated out of an abundance of caution because of fumes identified in an area of the building," Amazon said in a statement. "We take the safety of our employees and buildings seriously and are working closely with local authorities on their investigation."

The New Hampshire State Fire Marshal's Office and Occupational Safety and Health Administration were notified of the incident.

The investigation is ongoing.

Contact Us