Heavy Rain Causes Road Closures, Travel Delays

A major storm hit New England late Sunday night, and the region was still dealing with its effects Monday morning.

Amtrak service between Boston and New Haven, Connecticut was temporarily suspended due to power outages from downed trees but has since been restored.

The MBTA also reported delays on the Orange and Red lines. The Providence/Stoughton commuter rail experienced delays and cancellations, but service has since resumed.

Crews were clearing downed trees and wires around the system on the Haverhill line of the MBTA's Commuter Rail on Monday morning.

Throughout the region, numerous roads are also closed as secondary roads are dealing with a lot of standing water, which impacted the morning commute.

Storrow Drive and Route 9 created issues in Boston. And, in Cambridge, Memorial Drive eastbound and westbound at the Longfellow Bridge was closed because of flooding. That affected the MIT, Harvard, and BU campuses, among others. Detours were put in place.

Jewish War Veterans Drive in Boston, normally packed during the morning commute, was completely flooded and shut down on Monday morning. Police said leaves in the sewers caused the flooding.

Two civilian cars and a police cruiser got stuck, alerting them to the issue. A public bus, too big to turn around, had to stop on the side of the street until the road was reopened.

There were a lot of delays reported on the expressways, as well.

The ramp from route 24 northbound to Airport Road in Fall River was closed due to flooding, but has since been reopened.

The left lane of Interstate 93 north, north of Roosevelt Circle Medford (Exit 33), was also flooded.

Truman Parkway at Fairmount Avenue in Hyde Park was closed due to flooding, and detours were in place.

Flooding wasn't the only problem causing delays on Monday.

Route 3 north, north of the Sagamore Bridge, in Bourne, was temporarily closed in both directions due to a utility pole that is on fire.

Traffic lights were out at Route 16 at Winthrop Street in Medford, where Massachusetts State Police were directing traffic.

Contact Us