Man Led Police on Interstate Car Chase, Locked Himself in NH House Before Surrendering

The suspect was driving a silver Honda Accord, which was reported stolen from Stratham, N.H., the Seabrook police said

A man who led police on a car chase across state lines and then barricaded himself in a Seabrook, N.H. house for around two hours turned himself in peacefully, according to authorities.

The suspect was driving a silver Honda Accord, which was reported stolen from Stratham, N.H., the Seabrook Police Department said. The license plate on the car belonged to a different vehicle, which had been reported stolen out of Massachusetts.

Amesbury police initially pursued the suspect north on Route 495 and then up Route 95 northbound, before the vehicle left the highway on Exit 1 in Seabrook, police said. As the suspect drove toward Route 1, Seabrook officers deployed a spike strip, but the car continued to lead police to Perkins Avenue in Seabrook.

The suspect then left his car and ran away on foot. With help from the public, police say they determined he had locked himself inside a house at 21 Spruce Court. Officers from Seabrook and Amesbury worked together to set up a perimeter.

Officers tried to contact the man in the house, but say they received no response. The Seacoast Emergency Response Team was called in to assist with the situation.

It is not clear whether anyone else was inside the house at the time.

After about two hours, Seabrook police managed to talk to the man inside, who they identified as 38-year-old Damion Hines. Authorities previously said he was 28.

He voluntarily left the house and was taken into custody, according to police.

No one involved in the incident was injured.

"The inter-agency cooperation between law enforcement to come to a peaceful resolve was exemplary," Seabrook Acting Police Chief Brett Walker said in a statement Sunday night. "This incident also demonstrated the important role the public plays in keeping our communities safe through the phrase 'see something, say something.'"

Hines was charged on two alleged counts of receiving stolen property and multiple other traffic-related offenses. He is being held on $1,500 bail and will be arraigned at the Rockingham County Superior Court on Monday.

The incident remains under investigation.

Contact Us