New court documents filed by Kevin Spacey's attorneys following his brief appearance in a Nantucket courtroom on Monday morning give clues into the actor's defense.
In the documents, filed the same day that Spacey was arraigned on a felony indecent assault and battery charge, Spacey's attorneys outline a plan to fight the allegations that the former "House of Cards" star groped a then-18-year-old bus boy at the Club Car Restaurant in July of 2016.
His lawyers attempt to muddle prosecutors' arguments, saying that the alleged victim didn't immediately report the incident to police and that no witnesses have come forward to investigators.
The Spacey defense filing also claims the alleged victim "created an entirely false persona" initially telling Spacey that he was a 23-year-old studying business at Wake Forest University and that he "welcomed drinks" from the actor before leaving the bar to smoke a cigarette and exchange numbers.
"At best, this describes two people engaged in mutual and consensual flirtation, nothing more," his attorneys said in the court documents.
A judge granted a request from Spacey's attorneys asking to maintain data, including text messages and cloud-based accounts, from the cellphones of the alleged victim and his then-girlfriend from the night of the alleged assault up to six months after.
Investigators previously said in court documents that the alleged victim recorded a brief video of Spacey groping him in the bar and uploaded it to Snapchat.
The indecent assault and battery charge was filed against Spacey on Christmas Eve, just over a year after the alleged victim's mother, former WCVB-TV anchor Heather Unruh, came forward in an emotional press conference accusing Spacey of sexually assaulting her son.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
The actor then posted a video to YouTube showing a monologue of himself apparently in character as Frank Underwood. Spacey was fired from the cast amid allegations of sexual misconduct.
Spacey would face up to five years in prison if convicted on the indecent assault and battery charge. The next hearing in this case is scheduled for March 4.