A heating system at a building in Lawrence, Massachusetts, sent a number of people to the hospital Thursday, officials said.
The Lawrence Fire Department initially called the problem a gas leak at the building on Lawrence Street near the Hayden Schofield Playstead, saying multiple people were taken to the hospital. A firefighter on the scene said at least 11 people were hospitalized.
Lawrence police characterized the issue as a carbon monoxide leak, and Eversource said in a statement that the issue was a heating system, not a gas leak.
"We responded and made the building safe and will work with authorities as needed," the Eversource statement said.
Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.
A chicken restaurant was taped off at the scene. The restaurant has apartments above it.