New Details Emerge About Boyfriend Charged in Cold Case Murder of Boston Mom

David Pena was arrested in Florida and brought back to Massachusetts to face charges in the 2007 homicide of Felicia McGuyer

NBC Universal, Inc.

The man authorities suspect was involved in the 2007 murder of a 32-year-old Dorchester woman was ordered held without bail at his arraignment Tuesday.

Boston police announced Monday that David Pena, 33, had been arrested in Florida in connection to the homicide investigation. Members of the department's fugitive unit traveled to the Baker County Detention Center in Macclenny, Florida on Saturday, for Pena's rendition to Massachusetts.



Watch NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are.


Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.

Pena was wanted on an outstanding warrant out of Dorchester District Court on a murder charge in connection to the death of Felicia McGuyer. Once back in Massachusetts, Pena was booked and officials learned he was also wanted on an outstanding warrant out of Suffolk Superior Court on charges of trafficking cocaine.

McGuyer was 32 years old when she disappeared in the area of Roxton Street in Dorchester on Oct. 7, 2007, leaving behind her 11-year-old son. She was reported missing by her mother 10 days later.

Prosecutors say Pena was McGuyer's live-in boyfriend at the time of her disappearance. He had previously admitted to being involved in a physical confrontation with McGuyer at their apartment, during which he said she stabbed him in the shoulder with a pair of scissors. He said he fled the apartment and went to his mother's house, and when he returned several days later McGuyer was gone and her possessions had been removed.

But in 2017 -- 10 years later -- police interviewed a witness who said he helped Pena move what he thought was a body wrapped up in a carpet and blanket from the apartment in the days after the couple's fight. The witness told police that he later observed while moving it that it was in fact McGuyer's body.

The wooded area where the body was disposed of has not yet been located, prosecutors said, but the witness they interviewed said they believed it was "somewhere in the Boston area."

Police interviewed another witness in March of last year, an ex-boyfriend of McGuyer's, who said he had not seen or heard from her since October of 2007 and believed her to be dead.

McGuyer's mother and her son, who is now an adult, had said in numerous interviews over the years that they believed her to be dead because she would have contacted them if she was still alive. They said McGuyer was in daily contact with them until her disappearance in October of 2007.

Prosecutors said no financial records were found for McGuyer after October of 2007, and there is no evidence that she might have left the country.

Pena appeared in Dorchester District Court on Tuesday morning. It wasn't immediately clear if Pena had retained an attorney.

He is scheduled to return to court on Feb. 17 for a probable cause hearing.

McGuyer's family members were in court for Tuesday's arraignment, but did not comment on Pena's arrest.

Contact Us