In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
cellular telephone

Man Runs for His Life as Eagle Mountain Marina Collapses Around Him in Storm

Cellphone video shows the destruction left by powerful winds and heavy rain

Like a scene from an action movie, a Fort Worth man dodged flying debris and barely escaped with his life as a marina collapsed around him during severe storms Sunday night.

Winds as strong as 60-70 mph ripped through the marina on the southern tip of Eagle Mountain Lake. Cellphone video showed the aftermath — docks folded in like an accordion and poles ripped from the ground.

Tony Mancil says he was doing repair work on a boat when the marina collapsed around him, trapping him beneath debris.

"One of the walkways that I was on lifted up and did this, and I slid down into the water," Mancil said as he recalled the moments he thought would be his last. "I managed to get in a position where I could shove from the dock I was on and grab the vertical pole over here on my left. That was the moment where I thought, 'OK, we're gonna make it.'"

"When I was dangling in the water, that's when I wasn't too sure," said Mancil, who slipped into the waist-deep water just as a marina roof structure collapsed on top of him.

Mancil made it to shore with just some cuts on his hands and a slice to the shin. "I've got a cool new scar," Mancil said.

The boat Mancil was repairing was destroyed — the damage being a sobering sight. "Pretty eye-opening, I feel very lucky," he said.

Regulars at the marina say a few dings and dents are typical in the lake life. But no one was prepared for what happened Sunday night.

Bruce Fisk took NBC 5 on his boat for a closer look at the damage.

"Oh it's super bad, it's demolished," he said of the marina. 

More cellphone video shows how a house boat rocked into the dock at Augie's Sunset Cafe, located adjacent to the marina. "You never know how the lake's going to turn and people need to appreciate it a lot more than they do," said Chance Garrett, who manages the cafe.

It's the third Sunday in a row that severe weather has hit the lake.

Contact Us