Man Armed With Knife Killed in Police Shooting in Cambridge, Authorities Say

The Middlesex County District Attorney's Office says 20-year-old Sayed Faisal was fatally shot by police in Cambridge, Massachusetts; he is accused of refusing to put down a large knife

NBC Universal, Inc.

Authorities say a man armed with a knife was killed in a police shooting Wednesday afternoon in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Police say they were called to the area of Chestnut and Sidney streets to investigate the report of the man who appeared to be in distress. During the confrontation, a Cambridge Police officer shot the man, the Middlesex County District Attorney's Office said.



Watch NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are.


Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.

While the DA's office initially said the man, identified Wednesday night as 20-year-old Sayed Faisal, was armed with a machete, prosecutors later described the item as a 12-inch knife, which he allegedly refused to put down.

Authorities say Faisal led the officers on a chase multiple blocks through the neighborhood and, allegedly advancing on police with the weapon.

"In an attempt to deescalate the situation, one of the officers discharged a less-than-lethal sponge round," Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan said. "That round was unsuccessful in stopping Mr. Faisal and he continued to advance to the officers."

An officer then fired his gun. Faisal was taken to a hospital, where he died from his injuries.

"Somebody in the office said they heard shots," said Renee, a woman who declined to use her last name when speaking to NBC10 Boston. "We came outside and saw somebody running down that way with a bunch of cops behind him. He was barefoot, shirtless, he had a book in his hand."

The officer who fired his weapon is on paid leave per department protocol while the investigation takes place.

In a joint statement, Cambridge Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui and City Manager Yi-An Huang said they were "deeply saddened" by the shooting.

"Our thoughts and condolences go out to the family and loved ones of the deceased. The District Attorney's Office will be conducting a thorough and transparent investigation with the full cooperation of the City and the Police Department," the statement said. "We will review all of the facts and findings as they become available and we are committed to learning from this case to ensure the safety and well-being of everyone in our community. This tragic loss of life impacts all of us across the City and we will issue information regarding a community meeting to process together early next week."

Contact Us