Men Involved in Apparent Road Rage Incident to Be Arraigned Monday

Exclusive video shows an SUV driving a significant distance on the Massachusetts Turnpike with a man on the hood

What to Know

  • Exclusive video caught a man clinging on the hood of an SUV down the Mass. Pike in an apparent road rage incident.
  • The driver, Mark Fitzgerald, and the man on the hood, Richard Kamrowski, were arrested after the Friday incident.
  • Fitzgerald and Kamrowski will be arraigned Monday in Waltham District Court on multiple charges.

Two men involved in an apparent road rage episode on the Massachusetts Turnpike will be arraigned Monday morning on multiple charges.

Police say 37-year-old Mark Fitzgerald, of Ashland, and 65-year-old Richard Kamrowski, of Framingham, got into a minor side-swipe collision Friday as they traveled on Interstate 90 Westbound in Weston. Following the collision, police say things became confrontational, and exclusive video shows an SUV driving a significant distance on the turnpike with a man on the hood

State police say after the initial crash, Kamrowski stopped in the left lane, exited his Ford F150 and attempted to exchange paperwork with Fitzgerald, who remained in his Infinity QX70. The two began arguing and at some point, police say Kamrowski grabbed a water bottle from inside Fitzgerald’s vehicle before taking a position in front of it. Fitzgerald then began driving towards Kamrowski, who then subsequently jumped on the hood of Fitzgerald’s Infinity.

Kamrowski told NBC10 Boston that he thought Fitzgerald was going to run him over.

Fitzgerald then began to drive westbound, accelerating and stopping, with speeds reaching as high as approximately 70 MPH, all while Kamrowski remained on the hood of the vehicle. At some point Kamrowski broke the windshield of the Infinity by hitting it with the water bottle he had taken earlier, and video from the scene shows the SUV's windshield was cracked.

Police say Fitzgerald continued driving for about two to three miles while other motorists attempted to get him to stop.

Motorists were finally able to stop the Infinity, and one operator, who police say is a properly licensed gun owner, exited his vehicle and ordered Fitzgerald out of his vehicle at gunpoint.

Fitzgerald was then detained until state troopers arrived on scene.

Fitzgerald was arrested and charged with assault with a dangerous weapon on a person over age 60, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and leaving the scene of a property damage accident.

Kamrowski was also arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and malicious damage to a motor vehicle.

Both men were subsequently released on personal recognizance pending their arraignment in Waltham District Court.

Contact Us