Michelle Carter

Michelle Carter Released From Jail Early in Texting-Suicide Case

Carter, 23, urged her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, via text messages and phone calls to take his own life

NBCUniversal, Inc.

Michelle Carter, the woman convicted of manslaughter for urging her suicidal boyfriend to kill himself in text messages — a case that gained national attention — was released from jail Thursday.

Carter, 23, was released from Bristol County jail in Dartmouth, where she had served 12 months of a 15-month sentence. The Plainville native was released on good behavior, officials said, and will serve five years of probation.

Carter, wearing a white blazer and dark slacks, was seen being driven out of the facility by her attorney.

Carter and her attorney were later seen at Taunton District Court, where she is believed to have seen probation officers.

Her release comes after the U.S. Supreme Court declined last week to hear her lawyers' appeal of her involuntary manslaughter conviction in the 2014 death of her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III.

Michelle Carter case

More on the disturbing trial that captured international interest

Psychiatrist Says Meds May Have Impaired Teen in Texting Suicide Case

A Look at Michelle Carter's Life Behind Bars After Texting Suicide Conviction

Carter's case garnered national attention as it raised thorny legal questions about free speech and provided a disturbing look at teenage relationships and depression. It also sparked legislative proposals in Massachusetts to criminalize suicide coercion.

PHOTOS: Michelle Carter Released From Jail Early

A Massachusetts judge determined Carter, who was 17 at the time, caused the death of the 18-year-old Roy when she ordered him in a phone call to get back into his parked truck, which he'd rigged to fill up with deadly carbon monoxide.

The phone call wasn't recorded, but the judge relied on a text Carter sent her friend in which she said she told Roy to get back in. In text messages sent in the days leading up to Roy's death, Carter also encouraged him to follow through with his suicide plan and chastised him when he didn't.

Michelle Carter, the woman convicted of manslaughter for urging her suicidal boyfriend to kill himself in text messages was released from a Massachusetts jail Thursday.

Carter opted for a bench trial, an unusual legal strategy that meant a judge decided her fate rather than a jury. She also didn't testify in her defense at the trial.

The state's highest court upheld Carter's conviction last February and she was ordered to begin serving her jail sentence. She was denied parole in September.

“After she convinced him to get back into the carbon monoxide filled truck, she did absolutely nothing to help him: she did not call for help or tell him to get out of the truck as she listened to him choke and die,” Justice Scott Kafker wrote in the state Supreme Judicial Court's decision.

The U.S. Supreme Court has decided it won't hear the conviction of a Massachusetts woman who sent her boyfriend text messages urging him to kill himself.

Carter and Roy both lived in Massachusetts but met in Florida in 2012 while both were on vacation with their families. Their relationship consisted mainly of texting and other electronic communications. Both teens struggled with depression, and Roy had made earlier suicide attempts.

Carter's lawyers argued in their Supreme Court appeal that the conviction should be thrown out because it was an “unprecedented” violation of their client's First Amendment rights that suggested “words alone” are enough to hold someone responsible for another person's suicide.

The lawyers also argued there was simply not enough evidence to prove Carter urged Roy to get back in his truck to die, or that he would have lived if she had called for help or taken other actions to try and save his life.

It’s been more than a week since Michelle Carter started serving her prison sentence for involuntary manslaughter.

A case strongly echoing Carter's, meanwhile, is playing out in a Boston court.

Prosecutors say former Boston College student Inyoung You drove her boyfriend Alexander Urtula to kill himself in a toxic relationship that included thousands of abusive text messages.

The 21-year-old has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

Contact Us