‘Devastated': Weymouth Mourns Death of Police Officer, 77-Year-Old Woman

Weymouth Police Officer Michael Chesna was a five-year veteran of the department

What to Know

  • Weymouth Officer Michael Chesna was shot and killed during a struggle with suspect Emanuel Lopes on Sunday morning, according to officials.
  • Lopes allegedly intentionally fired Chesna's weapon at least three more times, killing Vera Adams in her home.
  • Lopes is expected to be arraigned on Tuesday. It's unclear if his arraignment will be in a hospital or courtroom.

Community members, family and neighbors are all mourning the loss of Weymouth Officer Michael Chesna and a 77-year-old woman who were shot and killed Sunday morning.

Police lined the streets Monday for a procession as Chesna's body was transported from the state medical examiner's office in Boston to a funeral home in Weymouth. The solemn tribute wound through the streets of Weymouth, past the police department where Chesna should have been celebrating his 6th anniversary on the force Monday.

"Oh, our hearts broke, sunk, it was awful, I feel bad for the family," Nicole Welch of Weymouth said.

“The family is very sad. They’re heartbroken. This is really very difficult for them,” said Patsy, a close friend of Chesna’s parents who did not want her last name used.

"This is way too close to home. It's very sad. I feel so bad for the family," added Maria Daukus, whose daughter served alongside Chesna on the Weymouth Police Department. "It is super difficult. I'm a mess. I try not to think about it, but it's in the back of your head all the time, every time she goes out. She was out there yesterday." 

Memorials have been created in Weymouth to honor Chesna and Vera Adams, the second victim of Sunday's shootings.

People have been offering their support to Weymouth police and dropping off flowers at the memorial outside of the police station.

Portia Harrington brought the police department dinner Sunday evening.

"We were really devastated to hear what happened," Harrington said. "We knew they were going to be working around the clock, and we wanted to show our support."

Weymouth resident Bill Malono said he was still in shock over the tragedy.

"You wouldn't think it would happen in Weymouth," he said. "It's a shame."

A candlelight vigil is being held Monday night at Weymouth High School to show support for the victims' families and the Weymouth Police Department.

Meanwhile, the mother of the shooting suspect also said she was shocked in a phone interview with NBC10 Boston.

Emanuel Lopes's mother said that the mental health system failed her son, who had struggled with mental health issues. She said she tried to get help for her son, most recently at South Shore Mental Health in Quincy, but he refused to take his medication.

She also said she has a restraining order against her son.

"I am heartbroken and I am extremely sorry," she said on the phone.

Authorities said Chesna, a five-year veteran of the Weymouth Police Department, was responding to a report of an erratic driver near South Shore Hospital shortly after 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.

Chesna, 42, saw the suspect, whom police have identified as 20-year-old Lopes, allegedly vandalizing a home on Burton Terrace.

Chesna approached Lopes with his gun drawn and attempted to arrest him, Norfolk County Assistant District Attorney Greg Connor said at a press conference Sunday.

"Lopes then attacked Officer Chesna, it is believed, with a large stone, striking him in the head, and Officer Chesna fell to the ground," Connor said.

According to authorities, Lopes grabbed Chesna's gun and shot him 10 times in the head, chest and legs. Chesna was taken to South Shore Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Additional responding officers chased Lopes through the neighborhood, where he allegedly discharged Chesna's gun at least three more times, killing Adams in her home. The Norfolk DA says Lopes shot Adams after he saw her looking at him through her window.

Police reportedly shot Lopes in the leg. He is expected to survive and could be arraigned Tuesday on two counts of murder. It's unclear if he will be arraigned in the hospital or in a courtroom. It's also unclear if he has an attorney.

State police detectives assigned to the Norfolk County District Attorney's Office are continuing to investigate the incident.

"On behalf of the Massachusetts State Police I offer our deepest condolences to the family of Officer Chesna, the family of the Weymouth woman who was also killed, and the Weymouth Police Department," Col. Kerry Gilpin, superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police, said in a statement.

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Officer Chesna and an innocent bystander today and my thoughts and prayers are with their families, loved ones and the @WeymouthPD after this tragic loss," Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said on Twitter Sunday.

New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft stopped by the Weymouth Police Department on Sunday to share his condolences. "It's just terrible," he said.

Chesna, an Army veteran, is survived by his wife and two young children.

Weymouth Police Chief Richard Grimes described Chesna Sunday as a "family man" who "always had a kind and good attitude."

"He was one of those people who truly sought this job, was fortunate enough to get it, and very much appreciated it," Grimes said.

Weymouth police said a fund has been set up at Equitable Bank to assist Chesna's family. Anyone wishing to make a donation can make checks payable to the "Officer Michael Chesna Family Fund," and mail them to or drop them off at the Weymouth Police Station, 140 Winter St., Weymouth, MA 02188.

The Boston Bruins Foundation also announced that it will host a raffle to raise money for Chesna's family. Tickets can be purchased at

Chesna is the second officer to be killed in a shooting in Massachusetts this year. Yarmouth Police K-9 Sgt. Sean Gannon was shot and killed by a man who was hiding in an attic in April. His K-9 partner Nero was recently cleared for normal activity.

Contact Us