Transportation officials were set to unveil a new, centralized location for rideshares at Boston Logan International Airport, Tuesday, ahead of major changes for travelers using apps such as Uber and Lyft scheduled to take effect next week.
Beginning Oct. 28, passengers arriving at terminals A and C who want to use rideshare apps will be required to meet their driver at the Central Parking structure, where Massport will open a space for drop-offs and pick-ups.
The changes — a bid to reduced congestion at the airport — will be expanded to all terminals in the coming months.
Massport officials on Wednesday unveiled the Terminal A section of the new “Ride App” space. According to Massport, the space includes:
- Protection from the elements, and localized heaters in the winter
- New lighting design throughout the areas
- Skycap services including checked baggage for domestic flights by Bags, Inc. and wheelchair assistance
- "Rematch" service that allows a driver dropping off a passenger to then quickly pick up a passenger
- Space needed for shared rides, for which the trip fee will be discounted
- ADA compliant design, though passengers with disabilities can choose to be dropped off and picked up at the terminal curbs
On Nov. 4, pickups at terminals B and E will move to Central Parking as well.
Starting Nov. 11, all drop-offs between 4 a.m. and 10 a.m. will move curbside at terminals' lower levels.
And finally, on Dec. 9, all ride drop-offs, unless between 4 a.m. and 10 a.m., will be moved to the Central Parking facility.