Massachusetts

Deadly Fire in Springfield Caused by Smoking Materials

One person was killed in the fire at 63 Wilmont St. and another injured. Four people are now displaced

Springfield Fire Department

A deadly fire in Springfield, Massachusetts was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, the State Fire Marshal's office said Friday.

One person was killed in the fire at 63 Wilmont St. and another injured. Fire officials say the blaze started in the second-floor living room around 3 a.m. One person, described as an "older adult" was killed and another injured. The victim has not been named.

STAY IN THE KNOW

icon

Watch NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are.

icon

Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.

Four people are displaced.

“On behalf of the Springfield Fire Department, I want to express our condolences to the victim’s family on the tragedy they suffered this morning,” said Springfield Fire Commissioner Bernard J. Calvi. "We see too many fires that start with smoking materials. There’s no safe way to smoke, but if you must smoke then please do it responsibly. Use a sturdy ashtray with water or sand and be sure to put it out, all the way, every time."

No further information was immediately available.

Contact Us