Parents of students at a New Hampshire high school are outraged after learning that a rape was kept under wraps by the district administration for two years.
“I’m shocked actually, very shocked,” said Gerrylynn Emery, who has three children who attend Manchester High School West.
She said the only reason she found out that there was a rape on school grounds during school hours two years ago is because it “showed up on Facebook” last week.
“That’s really disturbing,” she said.
According to court documents, it was Sept. 30, 2015, when Manchester West student Bryan Wilson took a 14-year-old girl into a secluded hallway and forced her to have sex with him. Parents say they only found out when Wilson’s sentencing made headlines last week.
“I would expect to be notified right away,” said parent Darlene Logue.
“It kind of reeks of some sort of cover up,” said Darlene's husband, Brian Logue.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
But Manchester Police say there was absolutely nothing to cover up. Police Chief Nick Willard says everyone involved took the proper steps to ensure student safety.
“The assault happened during the day, he was in our custody that night, and was never a threat to another student at the time,” Willard said.
Manchester Superintendent Dr. Bolgen Vargas says the prior administration didn’t notify parents at the time in an effort to protect the young victim.
“When you have an investigation going on by the police department, you have to be careful that you don’t jeopardize that process,” Vargas said in an interview Tuesday.
The controversy has sparked a change in the school district. Vargas says parents can expect to be notified if anything like this happens in the future.
“Stuff like that should not be shoved under the carpet,” Emery said.
Wilson was tried as an adult and is now serving 10 to 20 years in New Hampshire State Prison.