The first half of October has been warm and dry. High temperatures in Boston have been 7° above average. Logan Airport has only recorded 0.39” of rain, which is leading to a 1.26” deficit. If you look at the extended forecast, both above average temperatures and below average rainfall will continue.
Currently 90.13% of the Commonwealth is abnormally dry. The drought is the worst in Maine. Moderate drought conditions are being realized in 25% of the state. Currently the NBC Boston and NECN exclusive 10-day forecast is calling for Sunshine from Monday through Monday. Precipitation chances are under 25% each of those day.
Temperatures, for the most part will stay in the upper 60s to around 70. The exception to that will be Monday and Tuesday. Behind Sunday’s cold front, temperatures drop into the 50s and low 60s during the day. A frost is again possible Monday night.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
Ahead of the cold front Sunday, it will be very warm. High temperatures will climb into the upper 70s and low 80s. Don’t expect much sunshine, but it won’t rain very much. Showers are possible along the cold front. It will also be a breezy day. Winds may gust to 40 MPH. We’ve seen those winds cause minor damage lately, this set-up won’t be an exception.
With not much going locally, let’s talk about a very rare hurricane in the east Atlantic Ocean. Hurricane Ophelia is a major Category 3 hurricane with winds of 115 MPH. It’s quickly moving to the Northeast at 25 MPH. Ireland is in the forecast path. Tropical storm force winds will reach is island by Sunday night. Currently the western shore of Ireland has a 90% chance of experiencing tropical storm forecast winds, a 70% chance of 58 MPH winds and a 30% chance of hurricane force winds. This is extremely rare. For the residents there, it will be very similar to Hurricane Debbie in 1961. The storm caused 78 fatalities and $50 million in damages. Conditions will improve by late Monday.