Woman dead after massive fire in Georgetown

The woman who died in the East Main Street home was identified Monday by the Essex County District Attorney's Office as Nancy Holbrook, 80

NBC Universal, Inc.

A woman is dead after a fire in Georgetown, Massachusetts on Saturday night.

The Georgetown fire chief says 20 foot flames were shooting through the roof of the single-family home when firefighters got there shortly 11 p.m.



Watch NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are.


Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.

Four people were inside the home on East Main Street when the fire started, with three of them being able to get out safely.

Firefighters had to rescue one woman who was suffering serious injuries and was trapped on the second floor. The woman was rushed to Anna Jacques Hospital in Newburyport and was later pronounced dead.

"We ended up pulling the crews out after the rescue was made went to defensive continued to fight the fire that way" Fire Administrator Brian Coolidge said. "We did have some collapses in the building. Not worth risking our firefighters over any more collapsing."

The woman who died was identified Monday by the Essex County District Attorney's Office as Nancy Holbrook, 80. Her death was believed to be an accident that began with a small refrigerator experiencing a mechanical or electrical failure.

"Ms. Holbrook's family and loved ones remain in our thoughts today," Fire Chief Matt McKay said in a statement Monday. "On behalf of the Georgetown Fire Department and the community, I want to extend our heartfelt condolences."

Firefighters from over a dozen surrounding towns were called in to help with the fast-moving fire, finally bringing it under control just before 1 a.m. on Sunday.

East Main Street is still closed in both directions from Tenney Street down to True lane.

The home has been declared a total loss.  The cause of the fire is under investigation.

Contact Us