Woman Killed, 2 Others Injured After Car Reverses Into Farm Stand in Byfield

The crash happened at the Sforza Family Farm in Byfield, a village in the town of Newbury, Massachusetts, police said

NBC Universal, Inc.

A car speeding in reverse crashed into a farm stand in Byfield, Massachusetts, killing a woman and seriously injuring two others Saturday afternoon, police said.

Newbury Police Chief John Lucey said the crash happened around 3:35 p.m. at the Sforza Family Farm in Byfield, a village in the town of Newbury.

According to Lucey, for reasons unknown at this time, a car accelerated "very, very rapidly" in reverse into the checkout area of the very well-known, family-owned farm stand on Chute Road, which is near the Byfield Greenhouse and Garden Center.

One woman was killed in the crash. Police did not say if she was an employee or customer at the farm stand.

A juvenile was also seriously injured in the incident, and a man suffered significant injuries, Lucey said. Both were taken to Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport.

The driver is very distraught, Lucey said, and is cooperating with the investigation.

The police chief would not get into specifics involving the victims or driver, including whether or not it was a man or woman behind the wheel of the car.

The police chief said they do not have any idea as to why the fatal crash happened, including whether or not any kind of medical event could have happened.

Lucey said the investigation will hopefully yield information as to what happened, noting everything is in play right now. There was no indication as to whether or not the driver may face any charges.

Lucey called this a "very, very tragic event" and noted it was a beautiful afternoon on Saturday, and there were many people at the farm stand at the time of the crash.

The crash was devastating for the family that has owned and operated the Sforza Farm for more than 30 years.

"Always very helpful, very friendly," said neighbor Dan Hartman, who was working on his garden down the street when he saw the emergency response Saturday. "They always took good care of my kids and my wife."

Police right now are focused on finding out what happened, Lucey said, but they are also focused on the family that is going through a very difficult time right now.

The Georgetown Fire Department assisted the Newbury Fire Department on scene.

No other information was immediately available. An investigation is active and ongoing.

Contact Us