The FDA issued a warning on Thursday to parents with teething babies: teething jewelry is dangerous. It can cause strangulation or choking.
"There is no scientific information that teething necklaces are effective and safe. They are really quite dangerous," said Jennifer Hoekstra, an injury prevention specialist at Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan. She's not with the FDA, but fully supports the warning, she said: "The American Association of Pediatrics does not recommend any teething jewelry."
Those who dress their children in Baltic amber necklaces or bracelets believe that the amber releases succinic acid into the skin, acting as an analgesic, and thus diminishing pain.
The evidence does not support that theory. The FDA also received a report of one death after an 18-month old child was strangled by his amber teething necklace during a nap.