Iowa Family Died of Gas Asphyxiation at Mexican Resort - NBC10 Boston
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Iowa Family Died of Gas Asphyxiation at Mexican Resort

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Iowa Family Died of Gas Asphyxiation

    Mexican authorities say autopsies indicate an Iowa couple and their two children died of asphyxiation at a rented condo on Mexico's Caribbean coast.

    (Published Sunday, March 25, 2018)

    Mexican authorities say autopsies indicate an Iowa couple and their two children died of asphyxiation at a rented condo on Mexico's Caribbean coast.

    The prosecutors' office in the Caribbean coast state of Quintana Roo said Saturday that ``the cause of death was asphyxiation from inhaling toxic gases.'' It said the type of gas hadn't yet been determined.

    Photos released by the office showed investigators examining gas connections to a stove in the condo in Tulum.

    Iowa officials have identified the family as 41-year-old Kevin Sharp, 38-year-old Amy Sharp and their children - 12-year-old Sterling and 7-year-old Adrianna. They were from Creston, Iowa.

    In 2010, the explosion of an improperly installed gas line at a hotel in the nearby town of Playa del Carmen killed five Canadian tourists and two Mexicans.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.