Suspect in Shooting of Chicago Police Officer in Custody

The alleged gunman is said to also be the man wanted for shooting a woman while riding a bike in the Fulton River District

A suspect in the shooting of a Chicago police officer was in custody on Saturday afternoon, police said.

Michael Blackman, 45, allegedly shot a police officer at around 8:40 a.m. in the 6500 block of South Winchester Avenue in the city's Englewood neighborhood.

In the hours following the shooting, detectives went to a vacant lot on South Hoyne Avenue on the city’s South Side where they believed the suspect was hiding. A gun battle with the suspect then ensued.

Blackman sustained multiple gunshot wounds during a confrontation with police at around 3:40 p.m., and was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition.

On Saturday morning, officers arrived at an Englewood home where the suspect was believed to be hiding. CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said once officials knocked on the door, the offender attempted to flee, and was confronted with a couple of officers.

"A physical struggle ensued," Guglielmi said, and he escaped the scene. It was unclear if the offender was injured from the exchange of gunshots.

Guglielmi initially said on Twitter that the "alleged shooter is believed to be a fugitive wanted by police," and later confirmed that the alleged suspect was thought to be Blackman. He was wanted for shooting a woman while riding a bike in the Fulton River District earlier this week.

Blackman has an extensive criminal history, Guglielmi said, dating back to 1991, ranging from burglary to battery and criminal trespass.

The 48-year-old officer was taken in a police squad car to Advocate Christ Medical Center, where he underwent surgery.

According to trauma surgeon Jane Kayle Lee, the 16-year veteran was shot multiple times, one gunshot wound to the left groin, where a bullet was retained and two other shots in the lower left leg.

He lost a significant amount of blood, "basically bleeding to death," Lee said, and immediately taken to the surgery room where he underwent a blood transfusion and was evaluated for the wounds that caused significant fractures and tears in one of the main veins in the leg. Although the officer remains in stable condition in the ICU, he is expected to undergo further testing that will lead to other surgeries, she added.

Authorities said had the victim not created a tourniquet and applied pressure to the area when he did, he might have succumbed to his injuries.

At the news conference, Lori Lightfoot thanked all the officers and first responders for risking their lives to protect the city's residents from harm.

“They run to danger to protect us,” she said. "I ask that all Chicago continue praying for the officer and his family throughout his recovery."

Contact Us