A North Texas man filed a lawsuit against MillerCoors and 7-Eleven Monday, saying he drank a beer that had "a dead rat marinating in it" two years ago.
According to the lawsuit, in August 2013 Marco Antonio Navarro bought a 24-ounce can of Steel Reserve beer from a 7-Eleven store along Highway 356 in Irving.
When he got home, Navarro said he cracked open one of the cans and began drinking the beer. He reported he soon felt a "tingle on his lips and noticed the liquid was not flowing out properly," according to the lawsuit.
Navarro's sister said she used her camera phone to take a picture inside the can and realized there was a "dead rat marinating in it."
The lawsuit filed on Navarro's behalf said he "immediately vomited, then continued to suffer from abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, allergies, and back pain, amongst other pain and injuries."
Navarro received medical treatment totaling more than $49,000, according to the lawsuit, and sought the counsel of a therapist after reporting having trouble eating, drinking and maintaining personal relationships.
Now, nearly two years later, he is suing to recover the cost of his medical treatment and for damages due to past and future pain, mental anguish and loss of earning capacity up to but not more than $300,000.
In a statement to NBC 5 Wednesday, MillerCoors addressed the lawsuit and said the following:
"Our brands are produced under incredibly strict standards, and there is nothing more important than the quality of our products and safety of our legal drinking-age consumers. While we take all customer claims seriously, we do not believe there is any merit to the lawsuit."
NBC 5 as also reached out to 7-Eleven for comment, but as of this writing there has been no response.
Navarro is represented by Garcia, Dubove & Trujillo.