Hurricane Dorian may be passing far off New England's shores Friday night and Saturday morning, but it will still be close enough for strong winds, heavy rain and pounding surf to affect the area.
That's especially true in Cape Cod and the nearby islands, where residents were hunkering down to weather the Category 1 storm passing in the night. The area is under a tropical storm warning, along with Downeast Maine.
Ferry service to and from Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard was already canceled for Friday night and parts of Saturday, with passengers alerted to be on standby for later on Saturday and Sunday in case the Steamship Authority and Hy-Line Ferry needed to cancel crossings.
That wait-and-see attitude was prevalent on the Cape Friday, where the Megalli family had returned from Nantucket a day early.
"We live in New York City, my girls have school on Monday. We didn't want to get stuck," Mark Megalli said.
But Walt McGinnis headed out to the island, which he didn't have a choice about — he has a wedding to go to, and it will happen rain or shine.
"We'll make it work," he said, "in the name of love."
September is the most popular month for weddings on Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, according to the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce. Lots of people on Nantucket Friday afternoon were determined to make their weddings, they told NBC10 Boston.
Boats had been removed from the town pier and moorings, but many weren't very worried about Dorian.
"It's a little bit of win, little bit of rain, nothing to be worried about," said one man who had just arrived by ferry. "A little bumpy, but I've been through worse."
The ferry services will be keeping an eye on the forecast and conditions off the Cape, waiting to see if more cancellations would be needed, as it can take a while for waves to die down, even after the wind does, potentially extending service disruptions longer than they might seem to be necessary.
At the Hyannis Marina, boat owners were making sure everything is secure. Some were moving their vessels to more protected areas.
Commerical fisherman Josh Bean said he thinks it will be a while before he's back on the water, likely Monday or Tuesday because of the waves.
"I don't want to go out in that. I don't want to be anywhere near that," Bean said.