A cook at Kelly’s Roast Beef in Saugus, Massachusetts is sick with Salmonella Typhi, a bacteria which causes Typhoid Fever.
The restaurant confirmed the information Tuesday.
The illness is rare in the United States, but more common in some developing nations.
Kelly’s says the employee had just returned from out of the country.
“We were coming to have clams, roast beef, the usual,” said customer Charles Self, one of the many regulars showing up Tuesday night unaware that the restaurant temporarily closed down.
Kelly’s says it is allowed to be open, but they don’t have enough available staff because everyone needs to be tested before coming back to work.
Only the Saugus location is impacted.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
Typhoid Fever can be life-threatening, and only affects about 350 people in the United States every year according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
People who are actively sick with the illness can spread the bacteria to others.
“When I hear of this I don’t come back to the restaurant at all,” said customer Julie Constantine. “I stop coming, I won’t be back.”
Kelly’s management says they’re not sure when they can reopen. About a hundred employees need to be tested.