New Details in Boston Arrest of Woman Suspected of Stabbing NH Man to Death

Stephanie Beard faces a second-degree murder charge in New Hampshire in the killing of John Glennon

An undated image of a courtroom gavel.
NBC Connecticut

A woman suspected of fatally stabbing a 71-year-old man in the head in Manchester, New Hampshire, last week appeared in court on Boston Monday, as new details from how she was caught while running from police were revealed.

Stephanie Beard, 34, was arrested Saturday night in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood after an extensive search, local police said.



Watch NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are.


Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.

Officers had run a registration check of Beard's vehicle near a McDonald's in Roxbury around 1:30 p.m. and found that it was connected to a warrant for the killing in Manchester. But the officers weren't able to pull the vehicle over, so they alerted other teams in the department, officials said.

The Boston Police Department arrested 34-year-old Stephanie Beard on Saturday. Authorities allege she fatally stabbed John Glennon on Friday in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Police used traffic cameras to track the vehicle, which led Beard to be pulled over near a Dorchester Holiday Inn at 9:27 p.m., about eight hours after her vehicle was first spotted, officials said.

She appeared in South Boston District Court Monday to face a charge of being a fugitive from justice and was held without bail, officials said.

She refused to waive extradition to New Hampshire, where she faces charges including second-degree murder. Her next hearing in Boston is scheduled for June 21; people accused of crimes in Massachusetts generally have not guilty pleas entered on their behalf.

Beard allegedly killed John Glennon by stabbing him in the head with a knife and stole his car, a silver Subaru Impreza, early Friday morning. The New Hampshire Attorney General's office had issued a warrant for her arrest on Saturday and told the public she should be considered dangerous given the nature of the allegations.

Glennon's body was found around 8 a.m. Friday inside his Franklin Street home, authorities have said. An autopsy completed Saturday determined Glennon was killed by multiple sharp force injuries in a homicide.

Anyone with information about Glennon's death has been asked to call Manchester police at 603-668-8711.

Contact Us