Rattlesnake With Severed Head Bites South Texas Man - NBC10 Boston
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

South Texas Man Bitten by Severed Rattlesnake Head Almost Dies

The man decapitated the snake which then bit him



    South Texas Man Bitten by Severed Rattlesnake Head Almost Dies
    In this file photo, a rattlesnake watches a handler's boot at the Capitol, Monday, Feb. 2, 2015, in Austin, Texas.

    A South Texas man almost died after he was bitten by the head of a rattlesnake he'd just decapitated, his wife said. 

    The bite happened May 27 as Milo and Jennifer Sutcliffe were doing yard work at their home near Lake Corpus Christi. Jennifer Sutcliffe said her husband found a 4-foot rattlesnake and hacked off its head with a shovel. As he bent down to pick up the remains, the severed head "actually turned around and grabbed onto his hand," Sutcliffe told the Houston Chronicle. "He had to rip it off."

    Sutcliffe said she called 911 and began driving her husband the 45 miles to a Corpus Christi hospital. He began having seizures, losing his vision and bleeding internally and was airlifted the rest of the way, the report said.

    "He was saying stuff like 'if I die I love you,'" she told the Chronicle.

    Clerk Pulls Out Machete on Would-Be Robber

    [NATL] Clerk Pulls Out Machete on Would-Be Robber

    A would-be robber armed with a knife had a surprise in store when an Alabama store clerk pulled out a machete in defense. The two's brief knife fight was caught on camera before the clerk runs out to damage the robber's car.

    According to police, suspect Seth Holcomb walked up to the counter to make a purchase. He leaves the store and then comes back in as if to make a second purchase. Then, he pulled out a knife at the counter. What he didn't expect was that the clerk would pull out a machete of his own.

    (Published Wednesday, March 20, 2019)

    Sutcliffe said her husband needed 26 doses of antivenom, where a normal patient gets two to four. 

    He was recovering in the hospital.