Disturbing New Details About Accused Church Shooter's Alleged Attack on Attorney

A corrections officer said public defender Michael Davidow had his hands on his face and "blood dripping on the floor" after the alleged assault

The attorney who was allegedly assaulted by a man accused of shooting two people at a wedding in New Hampshire earlier this month suffered a brain hemorrhage and didn't even remember the assault when he arrived at the hospital.

Dale Holloway, 37, was arraigned Tuesday on a first-degree assault charge for allegedly attacking his 52-year-old public defender in jail on Monday. A judge ordered him held in preventative detention.

"I'm so confused to actually what charges these actually are. Which case this is," Holloway said via video conference.

Court documents said Holloway assaulted defense attorney Michael Davidow in a secured interview room at the Hillsborough County House of Corrections in Manchester. A corrections officer said he wasn't watching when the alleged assault occurred, but after about 20 minutes he heard Holloway knock on the glass and saw Davidow with his hands over his face and "blood dripping down on the floor."

Corrections officers then entered the room and restrained Holloway and attended to Davidow.

The attorney was taken to Elliot Hospital's emergency room, where paramedics observed multiple bruises on his face and head. Paramedics told police Davidow was unable to answer any questions, and said he didn't remember going to work that day. He later told police that he recalled going to the jail to meet with a client, but the next thing he remembered was waking up in the ambulance.

Davidow's nurse told police that the attorney suffered a brain hemorrhage, a broken nose, an eye hemorrhage, a laceration to his lower lip and various contusions to his head.

Due to the seriousness of his injuries, he was transferred to the hospital's intensive care unit.

Holloway represented himself at Tuesday's video arraignment. He argued that he "flicked the light twice" for someone to come help Davidow.

"His nose started bleeding and I ran to help," he said.

Assistant Hillsborough County Attorney Brian Greklek-McKeon spent several minutes listing Holloway's prior criminal convictions arguing he should be held without bail.

"The defendant does pose extreme danger to the community," he said.

Holloway was originally arrested two weeks ago after he allegedly opened fire in a church during a wedding ceremony, shooting 75-year-old Bishop Stanley Choate in the chest and 60-year-old bride Claire McMullen in the arm. The groom, 60-year-old Mark Castiglione, was wounded when he was pistol-whipped on the head, authorities have said.

In court Tuesday, a Manchester man named D Choate showed up for the arraignment because he said he wanted to see the man accused of shooting his uncle.

"I just don't think he should see the light of day," he said.

The sentiment got stronger as he learned that Holloway has allegedly taken another victim.

"He's just an awful, awful person," Choate said. "Why would someone do something like that to their own lawyer?"

Choate told NBC10 Boston his uncle is still in the hospital but is in stable condition.

Davidow is also still in the hospital but is expected to recover.

Holloway faces charges including attempted murder, second-degree assault, simple assault and felon in possession of a firearm in connection with the original Oct. 12 shooting. The court is in the process of appointing him a new public defender.

Contact Us