A fire broke out at an apartment building Thursday night in Beverly, Massachusetts, producing huge plumes of smoke and sparking a large public safety response.
The Beverly Fire Department was called the the apartment building on Trask Court just after 7 p.m. Thursday, according to Fire Chief Peter O'Connor.
When crews arrived on scene, they were met with smoke billowing from the building. There was extremely heavy heat on the second and third floors, according to the chief, and firefighters were forced back outside.
A woman who inhaled smoke ended up being taken to the hospital to be checked out, but she was said to be in good shape.
Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.
"It was just the nature of the construction here, there's a lot of hidden fire," O'Connor said Thursday night, discussing the challenges his department faced battling the fire. "There were some places we just plain can't get to, because parts of the floor collapsed so we just can't get into it to get underneath, to dig out the hidden fire, so we're going to be here for a little bit."
The building was left heavily damaged.
Crews were finally able to clear the scene just before 8 a.m. Friday.
Around 30 people were displaced, according to Beverly fire. Those in the far end and middle sections were allowed to go into their homes.
Michelle Tully lives next to the section that caught fire. She, her husband, their baby and their dog made it out safely.
"We are trying to get as much as we can out," she said. "Everybody in that building is not as fortunate."
Peter McLaughlin, who lives at the other end of the building from where the fire started, grabbed his dog and his medicine.
"I was like, 'Oh my God, I couldn't believe it," he said.
"It's rough. You know, we have a 6-year-old, so she's all distraught," said resident Anthony Angrisano. "She's worried about her presents. But at any rate, everyone is OK."
Two dogs and a cat were killed in the fire, according to the fire department.
The cause of the fire hasn't yet been determined. The Red Cross is helping residents.