2nd Coronavirus Death Reported in Boston

Boston had reported its first death from COVID-19 Sunday

NBC Universal, Inc.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said Monday that a second Boston resident has died from the coronavirus.

"With each tragic death, it is a reminder of the dangerous situation we are living in," he said at a press conference outside City Hall.

There are now 133 coronavirus cases in the city, the mayor said. Fifteen of them have already recovered.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said Monday a second city resident has died from the coronavirus.

Walsh said one city police officer and one EMT have tested positive for coronavirus. Four other EMTs are currently at home in self-isolation.

The mayor also continued to urge residents to follow social distancing guidelines.

"We have to stop the spread of this virus," he said.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh called on anyone with medical-grade equipment like masks to bring them to hospitals, which need them amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Walsh also announced Monday that the city will be hiring a consulting agency led by retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal to review the city's coronavirus plans.

The news of a second Boston death comes just one day after Walsh confirmed that a Boston resident in his 90s had died of COVID-19.

Across Massachusetts, 646 cases have been reported, including five deaths.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker issued a stay-at-home advisory beginning at noon March 24 amid the ongoing coronavirus crisis. The advisory requires all non-essential businesses to close their physical workplaces and facilities to all workers for two weeks.

For most people, health officials say the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, however, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. 

On Monday, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker ordered all non-essential businesses to close to the public for two weeks starting Tuesday and issued a stay-at-home advisory for the same period of time.

A Massachusetts couple took an international cruise to South America expecting to tour 10 ports around the world, but instead they've been quarantined to their tiny cabin as their Silver Shadow cruise ship stays docked in Brazil after a passenger tested positive for COVID-19. Joy Murphy says her parents, Jim and Carolyn, will be on a plane to Texas soon, one leg of a long trip home.
Contact Us