Electrical Issue Cause of 2-Alarm Fire at Oil Company in Rockland, Massachusetts

One firefighter suffered a minor injury while battling the blaze at Kelliher Brothers Oil Co. but was released from hospital a short time later

A 2-alarm fire at an oil company in Rockland, Massachusetts, early Monday morning that injured a firefighter is being blamed on an electrical issue.

The blaze was reported at approximately 3 a.m. at the Kelliher Brothers Oil Co. and quickly reached 2-alarms because the flames were so close to the site's tanks.

"We've been working with this company over the last year about getting the tanks removed and they haven't been in use for quite some time," Rockland Fire Department Chief Schott Duffey said. "There’s very little product in them if any at all."

Damage to the building was estimated at $100,000.

State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey later said in a statement that an overloaded power strip was the cause of the fire.

"It's important not to overload extension cords and power strips. Use only small appliances that don't draw a lot of current. Extension cords and power strips are designed for temporary use only and should not replace regular outlets. If you are using them permanently, it is time to call an electrician," Ostroskey said.

No one was inside the building at the time but one firefighter was taken to an area hospital for a minor injury and later released.

"He's doing good at this time. We can say he has non-life threatening injuries," said Duffey.

Contact Us