Firefighters Battle Blaze at Medford Home Owned by Sen. Warren's Son

The house belongs to Sen. Elizabeth Warren's son

NBC Universal, Inc.

Firefighters battled an early morning blaze at a Medford, Massachusetts, home owned by the son of U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

Just after 1 a.m. Tuesday, firefighters receive reports of a fire on Terrace Road. Upon arrival, they found the building fully involved in flames.

By around 6 a.m., much of the fire had been knocked down.

Several trucks were hosing down the flames, which broke out at a home atop a hill. The home was vacant, Medford Fire Department's chief said, who also confirmed that there were no reported injuries.

"Biggest challenge... We’re up on a hill, so very low water pressure," Chief John Freedman said. "We had to lay all the hose and trying to get the aerials in position because that was the best choice to put that volume of fire out, it was a lot fire."

The house is owned by Alex Warren, a son of the Democratic senator. She provided a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"I deeply appreciate the efforts of the firefighters who worked through the night to put out a fire at our son’s house. I am grateful that everyone is safe and request privacy for our family.”

Several other communities helped battle the flames.

The fire was accidental and likely caused by oily rags being used as part of the construction catching fire, state and local officials said Thursday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Contact Us